The Holidays are a time everyone looks forward to.
It’s filled with shopping, connecting with friends and family, great food, and the occasional hot chocolate.
It’s also a great time for ice skating.
Celebrate The Holidays With Your Own Portable PolyGlide Synthetic Ice Rink
People of all ages dust off their skates and hit the local rinks or rent out a pair to try out ice skating for the first time.
Finding a rink can be challenging, so local malls, hotels, and other high-traffic places consider installing portable skating rinks.
The Magic Of Holiday Ice Skating
Portable skating rinks are a great business opportunity to attract customers and even make extra cash.
If you’re thinking about installing a rink for the holidays, you’ll be surprised to find there are multiple options you can choose from.
We will break down each of these rinks and let you know the best option for your establishment.
Why You Should Consider a Portable Skating Rink
Ice skating is a popular sport that attracts almost all ages and skill levels.
While there is a demand, it should not prompt businesses to install a permanent ice rink.
Permanent ice rinks are large refrigerated ones requiring construction, installation, and maintenance.
Portable skating rinks, however, give you a host of benefits:
- You can set it up anywhere: larger, permanent ice rinks need a specific space and location for installation. With a portable rink, you can install it almost anywhere inside a mall or establishment.
- Indoor or outdoor? Heck, yea!: Sometimes, there is no space inside a mall or other high-traffic space. Set up in a parking lot or other open area with portable skating rinks. That indoor and outdoor flexibility is ideal for multiple events or keeping the rink open in bad weather.
- Easy storage and transportation: Portable rinks can be uninstalled and stored after the holidays. You can also transport them to multiple locations on certain days, so you get maximum use from one rink.
- Reusable: During the year, you can roll out the rink for sock skating, curling, Christmas in July, and other ice-related events.
- Scalable: Almost all portable skating rinks can be increased in size at a marginal cost compared to a permanent rink.
- Additional income: Portable ice rinks attract skating enthusiasts who would otherwise not visit your business. Skaters can turn into customers, and you get additional income from ice skate rentals, memorabilia, and other special events.
- Media exposure: Local news stations love to cover exciting events around the Holidays. That free exposure of an ice rink and customer social media posts means you get some additional advertising!
Portable ice rinks are popular in malls, museums, and other businesses.
The Pro-Glide Panel Offers Optimal Glide And Performance By PolyGlide Synthetic Ice
Before You Buy, Consider This...
If you’re reading this, you’re considering adding portable ice skating rinks to one or more of your businesses.
Before you do, there are some steps you can take to ensure you get the best return on your investment.
Types of Portable Skating Rinks
There are several types of portable skating rinks available.
Some are strictly for ice skating, while others are great for other disciplines, like roller skating.
Here are some of the best for large spaces like malls, hotels, and other high-traffic businesses.
1. Refrigerated Ice Rinks
These rinks are a popular option for large commercial spaces.
The rink combines water, special pipes, and refrigeration principles to create a space of real ice you can skate on.
Refrigerated rinks are sold and installed by professionals by placing a mat or plastic tarp, rink walls, then several pipes to keep the water at a specific temperature.
A unique coolant is passed through the pipes, powered by a refrigeration system (think of your home refrigerator or air conditioning system).
The rink space is then covered with water that freezes thanks to the pipes.
- Skating on natural ice
- You can use real ice skates
- It can last several months, both indoor and outdoor
- You can charge more for an ‘authentic’ skating experience
- Expensive to set up and maintain
- It uses water and is energy intensive
- Limited outdoor use in warmer months
- Commercial rinks require trained staff on-site
- Increased chance of injury by inexperienced skaters
Refrigerated rinks provide an authentic experience, indicated by popular rinks like The Rockefeller Center.
However, the cost to set up and maintain can be a deterrent.
2. Synthetic Ice Rinks
Synthetic ice rinks have been around for decades, perfecting the material to its current state.
These are tiles or panels made of a unique polyethylene panel that connects with the next, similar to a puzzle or laminate flooring.
The material is also infused with a liquid slip agent, so you can skate with ice skates.Pros
- Scalable by simply increasing the tiles.
- You can use ice skate blades on the material
- Easy to install and store
- Panels are more durable for commercial use
- Synthetic ice saves energy and water (an eco-friendly option)
- Versatile. You can use roller skates, socks, and ice skates.
- Some skaters will notice the difference compared to natural ice.
- Multiple generic options are available. It’s easy to purchase an inferior product.
- Regular maintenance is needed to remove shavings and keep ice smooth.
- Some brands require additional slip surface agents that must be regularly applied.
- Rental costs can be high. Purchasing rinks outright may be more cost-effective.
Synthetic ice is a versatile option for businesses, which lasts for years.
For instance, you can try our Metro Mall Rinks, specifically designed for commercial spaces, malls, hockey training centers, and large-scale events.
Through a fast installation process, you’ll have a rink comparable to the most popular commercial rinks in the world.
While effective, some brands still have high friction and rink shavings, reducing the experience for skaters.
Enhancing The Skating Experience
Choosing the best portable skating rinks for the holidays is not enough.
You’ll also have to complete the rest of the space to enhance the experience for skaters. Elevate the fun and excitement through these options:
- Have skating gear available: The rink should have ice skate rentals, helmets, and pads to help keep skaters safe.
- Decorations and lighting: Get in the Holiday cheer with decorations, lighting, and other attractive props. Even with an artificial rink, skaters will come and enjoy the space, take pictures with friends, and enjoy the warmth and ambiance you’ve created.
- Set the mood: Get the right music to make the space festive and fun. You don’t need to hire a DJ. Just play some of the best Holiday classics and contemporary music for skaters to enjoy.
- Add fun activities, events, and giveaways: Create an event calendar aligning with the Holidays to incentivize more skaters.
Why Synthetic Ice Is The Best Option
So which one is the best?
We believe synthetic ice is ideal for installing and maintaining an ice rink in public spaces.
It’s an option that feels close to ice skating without the significant commitment and cost of a refrigerated rink.
Synthetic ice can last up to 10 years and is usable annually for multiple purposes and in almost any space.
You can also invest in high-quality panels with enough left over to decorate the space, attracting more business.
With an easy installation that’s great both indoors and outdoors, synthetic is a no-brainer.
Consider options already infused with the slip agent for the best results.
The Holidays are a great time to add something new to your business, so why not an ice rink?
The energy it brings can brighten any space with Holiday cheer.
While refrigerated rinks are popular and give a natural ice feel, synthetic ice provides a better long-term solution.
With quick setup, easy storage, maintenance, and a reasonable cost, you can bring skating to the masses.
PolyGlide Synthetic Ice provides synthetic ice for homes and businesses, large or small.
Contact us for a quote and guidance on installing portable skating rinks for the Holidays